Do you have shooting, searing pain running down one of your legs? Pins and needles in your legs and feet? Numbness or weakness in your lower back, legs, or feet? If any of these sensations sound familiar, you may have a common condition known as sciatica. Up to 40 percent of people will experience this painful condition in their lifetime, and it becomes more prevalent with age. If you’re among this percentage, you probably have one thing on your mind: how to get rid of sciatica fast. In this article, we’ll be sharing our top tips for easing your sciatica pain in just thirty minutes or less.
What is sciatica?
Before we get into the pain relief tips, let’s review what sciatica actually is. Sciatica refers to pain that radiates along the path of the sciatic nerve, which branches from your lower back through your hips and buttocks, and down each leg. The pain is most commonly caused by a compressed nerve in the lower spine.
How to get sciatica relief fast
The pain of sciatica can range from mildly uncomfortable to debilitating. Regardless of your level of pain, the following tips will help reduce your pain level and discomfort. For best results, apply all three of these tips in succession, in the order they’re listed.
- Apply heat and cold
Alternating heat and cold therapy is very helpful in reducing sciatica pain, often causing immediate relief. Ice helps reduce inflammation, while heat encourages blood flow to the affected area, allowing it to heal quicker.
First, apply cold to the affected area for ten minutes using an ice pack. Then, apply heat for ten minutes by placing a heating pad or hot water bottle on the painful area. Place a barrier between the heat or cold source and your skin for protection.
- Stretch it out
After completing your hot and cold therapy, it’s time to do some gentle stretching to relieve the sciatic nerve compression. Here are the top stretches for relieving sciatica pain quickly. Spend about ten minutes total performing these exercises.
- The pigeon stretch: Sit on a mat with your right knee bent in front of you and your left leg extended behind you. Gently tilt forward, resting on your hands for support. You should feel this stretch in your hip and glutes. Repeat on the other side.
- Knee-to-chest stretch: Lie on your back with your legs bent and your feet flat on the floor. Bring one knee to the chest while keeping the other foot on the floor. Keeping the lower back pressed to the floor, hold for up to 30 seconds. You should feel this stretch in your lower back. Repeat on the other side.
- Cobra or modified cobra: Lie on your stomach with your legs extended and your elbows bent with your palms resting on the floor by your chest. For a modified cobra, push through your palms and partially straighten your elbows to lift your chest off the floor to about 45 degrees. To perform a full cobra, fully straighten your elbows, lifting the chest further from the floor. You should feel this stretch in your lower back and glutes.
- Apply natural pain-relieving cream
The final step in your sciatica pain relief routine is to apply a natural anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving cream. Simply apply the cream along the parts of your sciatic nerve that are causing you pain. Aromalief offers 3-in-1 vegan hemp lotions that relieve pain, moisturize the skin, and offer the calming benefits of aromatherapy. Aromalief’s soothing lotions contain several pain-relieving, anti-inflammatory ingredients, including hemp seed oil, menthol, glucosamine, chondroitin, L-arginine, MSM, and aloe vera.
Sciatic Pain Relief in Minutes
This three-step pain relief routine takes about 30 minutes to perform and should provide immediate relief from sciatica. Even better, when done consistently several days a week, this routine is likely to resolve your sciatica completely.
If you don’t have time to do the whole routine, you can pick just one or two steps to perform, as each step also works on its own to relieve sciatica pain. For example, you could do a couple of stretches and then apply Aromalief’s pain relieving lotion to reduce your pain in just ten minutes or less.
Most cases of sciatica can be resolved using these at-home strategies, so don’t lose hope. Start practicing today and watch your pain melt away!
Please consult with your doctor before starting any pain relieving regimen. The tips provided are not intended to replace the advice of a medical professional.
SCIATICA PAIN BLOG POSTS
If you liked this blog post, here are the other most read posts on our site that you may be interested in.
- Self Massage For Sciatica Nerve Pain Cream
- Does Hemp Oil Help with Sciatica Nerve Pain?
- Sciatica Pain Relief in 5 Minutes - Aromalief
AROMALIEF FREE RESOURCES
This pain tracking sheet is a simple to use form that you can print several copies and put them in a binder. You can fill it out throughout the day or every night with a warm cup of tea. Writing things down can also help to get them out of our mind.
This guide contains what we believe are essential tips to to live your best life with the help of nature. This includes: Foods, aromatherapy, meditation, routines, sleep, exercise, self care, and more. We made this guide with the hope that it will give you a starting place and push you towards living a more balanced and overall healthier life!